Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Technology in Classrooms...

Technology has helped education but it has also hindered my educational experience, personally. Let's talk about powerpoint. It could be a really great way for teachers to show pictures or diagrams. But I have found that every teacher who I have had who used it, predominately in college, reads directly off of the powerpoint slide. They may as well have given us copies of their presentations and sent us home. In fact, these are the classes I do not attend. Try listening to an excercise physiology lecture for two hours where the professor is just reading off of the slides. Yeah, it sucked. I think that even though technology has helped us, it has also gotten some teachers off of the hook of actually teaching. It has really promoted more of a teacher centered atmosphere than anything and has gotten students to zone out. However, there are times where technology can be a great thing to draw students in to the lesson. I love watching videos in class or looking at web pages on an overhead that someone has created.Technology has also given the students a window of opportunity to be more creative during projects, etc. I would have to say though that I could do without powerpoint!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I completely agree with you about Powerpoint. Teachers do not use this media well. Kadjer discusses this in her text _The Tech-Savvy English Teacher_. There are better ways to use technology in our classrooms that both instruct and invigorate our students.