Monday, September 10, 2007

Starting to Write 2

The passage that I chose to write from discussed free writing or the "discovery draft."

"Often I don't know what has been written in my head so I write a discovery draft....In writing a discovery draft, I type as fast as I can, sometimes with the computer screen turned off. The important thing is to hear the flow of text."

This is just a few ideas from the passage, but it stood out to me because this phase, what the writer refers to as the discovery draft, is my favorite part of writing something. I am a big believer in the process rather than the product so I usually repeat the same steps for each paper I write. Doing the first draft gets any ideas I have down on paper and lets me write without having to worry about he grammatical aspect of the paper. I hand write rather than type and it really gives me a feeling of confidence once I see how much I actually had to write. After completing this phase, there are times when I may even change the entire original thesis because of one sentence that I jotted down that seemed enough to pursue.

1 comment:

Michelle Randall said...

I totally agree with, “being a big believer in the process rather than the product.” In order to write effectively the editing are rewriting process must occur. It allows you to focus on the content vs. the structure. Getting the ideas out is the hard part, but once that happens everything else just flows naturally. The process allows the writer to see what is beneficial and what needs to be left out, while tunneling new ideas into the paper as well, effectively working together to accumulate into a phenomenal product. I also would like to commend you for writing your papers by hand, I couldn’t if I tried. And your dog is ADORABLE!!