Monday, October 29, 2007

Group #3...

I really loved this teach! Everyone was really prepared and made effective comments to the discussion, but the material was really great too! A lot of what we talked about the first day I will use in my classroom. I had never really thought about making stereotypes a topic in my classroom until i realized how obviously apparent they are in high schools. I think that by identifying the stereotypes that the students may or may not be aware of could maybe help them think about their own beliefs. It is definitely a topic that any student could do some form of writing on. I also really appreciated the how group 3 transitioned into stereotypes in the media and kind of gave an explanation as to why and where students get their stereotypes from. It isn't like students are directly taught about the different stereotypes, particularly the negative ones, but rather through many different types of media. Both activities, the commercials and the Disney clips, were really good ways to get students to think about how stereotypes are in our everyday lives. I liked the commercial activity because we were not told to pick a commercial that portrayed stereotypes, but almost everyones did. The Disney one was helpful too because the horribly negative stereotypes were so evident yet this is what children are introduced to at a very early age! I really enjoyed this group teach--there wasn't anything I would have changed about it! Great Job!

No comments: